[open-government] Socrata Open Data Standards - Your Thoughts?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Nov 16 10:29:17 UTC 2012

I would note there is already quite some work on an *existing* data catalog
standard both in the form of DCAT [1] and in terms of a protocol (which and
I colleagues have contributed to):

http://spec.datacatalogs.org/

There is also the work at: http://www.dataprotocols.org/

Rufus

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/

On 15 November 2012 21:18, Tracey P. Lauriault <tlauriau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I would love to hear your thoughts about these proposed standards?
>
> I see Open Geospatial Consortium, linked data ideals and DOI, data and
> preservation and infrastructure as missing.  But I do not know enough to
> know if those matter in this context.
>
> It would be good to hear from science, libraries, archives and so on these
> matters.  I am concerned that data preservation, dissemination and
> management practices as seen in CODATA, GEOSS, GSDI, ICPRS, OGC and IASSIST
> and others.  Also, that groups are not overlapping much.  More so, these
> principles and standards might become the norm, and they may negatively
> influence data policy if not done well at the beginning.
>
> Sincerely
> Tracey
>
> --
> Tracey P. Lauriault
> Post Doctoral Fellow
> Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
> https://gcrc.carleton.ca/confluence/display/GCRCWEB/Lauriault
> http://datalibre.ca/
> 613-234-2805

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation