[open-government] New Report - Digital Citizenship - Exploring the Field of Tech for Engagement from the Knight Foundation

Steven Clift clift at e-democracy.org
Wed Oct 3 12:15:53 UTC 2012

Sorry for the cross-posting ... this is one of those must read reports
- http://knightfoundation.org/digitalcitizenship - in our field. It
will be also be useful to those who do "engagement with technology"
where your central frame  starts with community and democracy. The
opportunity to partner with more tech-centric projects should be
pursued by all. Also note: http://www.allourideas.org/engageonline -
Steven Clift, E-Democracy.org

P.S. We are very interested in trading notes with those interested in
the "Measuring Success" section as we are ramping up our metrics,
research, and evaluation efforts. There will opportunities for
researchers and grad students to dig in with us. See lesson sharing
project backgrounder from: http://e-democracy.org/inclusion

See the report:

Digital Citizenship - Exploring the Field of Tech for Engagement
http://knightfoundation.org/digitalcitizenship/

And this blog post (comment on the report here too):

Using tech to transform democracy
http://www.knightfoundation.org/blogs/knightblog/2012/10/2/using-tech-transform-democracy/

>From the report:

Summit participants explored this very question in one of the first sessions.

Technology for Engagement, they concluded, should create and support
opportunities and capacities for people to transact with others for
the common good.

Engagement technology should:
• connect people
• build relationships
• increase participation in governance
• facilitate discovery
• reveal common needs and shared values
• enhance the ability to act

The TOC:

Why Tech for Engagement
Introduction
The Role of Technology
The Role of Narratives and Gaming
Business Models
Measuring Success
Opening up Government
Building the Field
What's Next?
Terms of Engagement
Summit Participants

The full report is available in sections from:
http://www.knightfoundation.org/digitalcitizenship/

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
  Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.org
  Twitter: http://twitter.com/democracy