[open-government] Quantifying the Cost Savings from Open Data

Dominic Mauro dominic at reinventalbany.org
Wed Oct 17 15:35:17 UTC 2012

My name is Dominic Mauro, and I'm an open government researcher with a
non-profit organization called Reinvent Albany. We work for a more
transparent and accountable New York State government, primarily by
advocating for increased adoption of information technology.

Currently, I'm working on a report which argues for the economic
benefits of an electronic Freedom of Information Law request tracking
system (over the analog approach currently in use in most of New York
State). This argument would be bolstered by data about the cost-savings
other governments have experienced since uploading their open data to
the internet.

Jim Hendler at RPI suggested that OKFN might be able to direct me to the
UK's figures for open data-related savings. Is there anyone on this list
who has empirical evidence of roughly how much money any governments
have saved due to open data practices (or know someone who does)? I
would greatly appreciate you sharing it with me.

Thank you very much,

Dominic Mauro
Open Government Coordinator
Reinvent Albany