[open-government] Quantifying the Cost Savings from Open Data

Hare, Jason Jason.Hare at raleighnc.gov
Wed Oct 17 15:58:40 UTC 2012

Hi Dominic-

I am in the same position- I am working on the Open Data project for the City of Raleigh and I am working on a whitepaper on the same subject. While I have read several papers from the UK on their open data program (a nice overview is "Unleashing the Potential" (http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/resource-library/open-data-white-paper-unleashing-potential), I have not found any empirical data on cost savings for municipalities adopting open data. I would also be interested in direct economic development benefits for cities or regions that adopt open data.

Best regards

Jason Hare
Program Manager, Open Data Project
City of Raleigh - Information Technology
One Exchange Plaza, Suite 900
P. O. Box 590
Raleigh, North Carolina 27602-0590
Mobile: 919-323-2767