[open-government] More than eightly formats for open government data

Stefan Szilva stefan_szilva at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 9 19:39:19 UTC 2012

Citát "Jose M. Alonso" <josema at webfoundation.org>:

> El 08/09/2012, a las 15:11, stef escribió:
>> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 01:35:08PM +0530, neeta wrote:
>>> I have done a small study to understand the kind of data formats acceptable
>>> by different govt  data portals worldwide..
>>> and was surprised to find that there are more than 80
>>> formats..(excel sheet enclosed for details)
>>
>> talking about formats, can anyone please liberate the data from
>> excel to some less closed format.
>
> and can we stop calling xlsx a closed format, please?
> Not that I'm a big fan of how OOXML [1] was standardized but it's an
> ECMA and ISO standard, i.e. open enough.

Hi,

I suggest this source:
http://www.odfalliance.org/resources/OOXML_GovsNeedKnow_Oct2010.pdf

There are different versions of OOXML and some of them are
proprietary. Unfortunately, these proprietary versions are mostly used
(AFAIK).

Citation:

"- The Ecma 376 version of OOXML, the version that ISO rejected. This
somewhat matches what Office 2007 writes out, but lacks definitions
for scripts, macros, DRM, connections to SharePoint, etc. This version
also contains many Windows-platform dependencies. The use of Ecma-376
essentially ties the adopter to Microsoft Office.
- The ISO/IEC 29500 “Strict” version. This is the version that ISO
said should be used for new documents. But neither Office 2007 nor
Office 2010 are capable of writing OOXML “Strict.” Microsoft has made
no public commitment on when they will fully implement OOXML “Strict.”
- The ISO/IEC 29500 “Transitional,” the version that ISO stated should
not be used for new documents. Neither Microsoft Office 2007 nor
Office 2010 implement this version precisely. Further, Office 2010
writes out a non-standard form of OOXML “Transitional” which includes
many proprietary extensions. These extensions have not been
contributed back to ISO for standardization.

The fact that Microsoft is not implementing “Strict” while privately
extending “Transitional” means that the improvements required to make
OOXML acceptable to ISO are now being ignored. This divergence between
the ISO standard and the Microsoft implementation has lead the
Convenor of the OOXML Ballot Resolution Meeting to declare recently
that, “[T]he entire OOXML project is now surely heading for failure”.
http://www.adjb.net/post/Microsoft-Fails-the-Standards-Test.aspx
"

I also suggest these citation from ISO/IEC 29500-4:

"The intent of this Part of ISO/IEC 29500 is to enable a transitional
period during which existing binary documents being migrated to
ISO/IEC 29500 can make use of legacy features to preserve their
fidelity, while noting that new documents should not use them."

Stefan Szilva