[open-government] Is it too radical to demand everything?

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Sat Sep 15 01:58:46 UTC 2012

> the open data movement must demand from government and public sector
> to publish everything themselves

It's not too radical. If you add in basic caveats for security, privacy,
and intellectual property, I think most open gov advocates would say,
yes, in a perfect world, government records should all be online. That
sort of across-the-board transparency is the root of the freedom of
information / right to know movement, which is right now pretty healthy
across the world. People do demand that, and constitutions these days
get written with that in mind. (Success!)

A good starting point is the external links section on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_information_legislation.

At the same time, people specialize on particular types of government
records --- legislative, geospatial, financial, etc. We get into the
details on these because when it comes time to implementing open data
the details matter.

So, both are going on.

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

http://razor.occams.info