[open-government] Is it too radical to demand everything?

JOSEFSSON Erik erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu
Sat Sep 15 02:48:53 UTC 2012

On 15/09/12 03:58, Josh Tauberer wrote:

		the open data movement must demand from government and public sector to publish everything themselves

	It's not too radical. If you add in basic caveats for security, privacy, and intellectual property,

Which intellectual properties are you thinking of?

Europeana finally came to the conclusion that its metadata has to be CC0 (as it also waives database rights).

The GPL is a software patent free zone.

So, which legit caveats are there?

Trademarks?

//Erik

	I think most open gov advocates would say, yes, in a perfect world, government records should all be online. That sort of across-the-board transparency is the root of the freedom of information / right to know movement, which is right now pretty healthy across the world. People do demand that, and constitutions these days get written with that in mind. (Success!)

	A good starting point is the external links section on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_information_legislation.

	At the same time, people specialize on particular types of government records --- legislative, geospatial, financial, etc. We get into the details on these because when it comes time to implementing open data the details matter.

	So, both are going on.

	- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

	http://razor.occams.info