[open-government] Is it too radical to demand everything?

Pia Waugh pia.waugh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:47:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,

There are a few people in Australia experimenting with the idea that
reports/content done for gov by external parties (contrators, private
sector) be required to be CC-BY in the contract, which would likely lead to
the private sector giving shorter more concise content and keeping the
generic stuff they want to keep proprietary out of the reports that could
be made public. Governments spend a lot of money on behalf of the public,
and as the entity paying the bill, we should be able to require
contractually that we get content we can republish in a lot of cases. This
would also create greater value to the public sector as more reports would
be sharable across government, and of course, sharable to the public. No
reason why this couldn't apply to software too, and it'd be interesting to
compare notes.

Of course, as Josh notes, there are more certainly an importantly a lot of
privacy and other appropriate considerations. It is vital that government
protects the privacy of its citizens, and get the balance right between
publishing data, and privacy. For instance, with some sensitive data like
health data, appropriate deidentification that goes beyond just removing
names and addresses, but also turns ages into age categories and the like
is really important.

Trade agreements and Internet "regulation" may be two examples where far
greater public (and indeed global) transparency would be useful in ensuring
the value of the Internet tto society is not degraded bit by bit over time
(sorry, terrible pun there).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more from other people.

Cheers,
Pia