[open-government] Is it too radical to demand everything?

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Mon Sep 17 11:13:28 UTC 2012

> Of course, as Josh notes, there are more certainly an importantly a lot of privacy and other appropriate considerations. It is vital that government protects the privacy of its citizens, and get the balance right between publishing data, and privacy. For instance, with some sensitive data like health data, appropriate deidentification that goes beyond just removing names and addresses, but also turns ages into age categories and the like is really important.

we have to be very careful with this, as there is increasing concern that anonymisation is very difficult and it may not be possible to guarantee it in an open environment

https://www.privacyinternational.org/blog/uk-transparent-citizens-and-opaque-government

ORG supports the minimum principle that anonymisation technologies should be transparent so researchers can check them

there will be a workshop dealing with some of these issues at the OKfest this week

Javier