[open-government] Is it too radical to demand everything?

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Tue Sep 18 20:05:46 UTC 2012

On 09/17/2012 05:42 AM, Ivo Babaja wrote:
> If it is OK with everybody, why such a request is not written down as
> the ultimate (and at the same time basic) demand?

I looked over some definitions/declarations of openness and was
surprised that "pro-active" disclosure was not mentioned more. The new
Declaration on Parliamentary Openness (openingparliament.org) does
mention it, for instance. It's in bullet #13 of 44 --- not very high up.
Not saying I disagree with the placement. Just surprised.

It's hard to answer your question because there's no one document that
describes what everyone wants in the open government movement. We all
want different things. So there are a lot of documents, and each is
specialized in a particular way.  For instance, when I write about
defining open data it isn't necessarily relevant for me to make demands
on government. Different priorities for different audiences, different
occasions.

Maybe someone else on the list knows more, but I think you're right to
notice that there isn't a coherent community around across-the-board,
pro-active disclosure. I know people have thought about it. Maybe the
FOI/RTK world is working on it.

But there's a reason not more of us are working on that, and that's
because from a policy point of view it is basically a non-starter. It's
too simple. Government record keeping is complicated --- it would be
impossible to simultaneously publish all data. Not saying it wouldn't be
great to have, only that advocating for that is not the most effective
use of time for every open gov advocate.

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

http://razor.occams.info