[open-government] A City (& Region) Census - What are the Key Datasets?

Daniela Mattern daniela.mattern at it3s.org
Tue Feb 19 12:44:16 UTC 2013

Hi Rufus and all,

looking at the situation in Brazil I would suggest to include data like:

- location of public cultural equipments, public sports equipments and
parks (looking for measuring what we call cultural exclusion)
- location of public internet points/computerlabs (considering digital
inclusion)
- water shortage and power cuts (location/time) (mostly happens in slum
areas)
- referring to schools (school quality acording to evaluations)
- location of slums and public housing projects
- partnerships and money transfers from government to nonprofits for
service provision
- public construction sites and money spent

Very interesting this project - we are trying to join data concerning São
Paulo here at the moment.
I recently had an interesting conversation with Rede Nossa São Paulo - a
movement for sustainable cities ... more than 200 cities are in this
network in Latin America. It would be awesome if we could think about how
to deliver a software package that helps joining this data and monitoring
to these cities.

If you want we could have a hangout about this and make plans.

Regards,

Daniela

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When the Open Data Census <http://census.okfn.org/> was started last
> year, one of the first things suggested was having a census focused on
> cities or regions in addition to that on countries.
>
> I'm happy to say plans are afoot to make this happen with the work on the Open
> Data Census on Open Data Day (this Saturday)<http://okfn.org/events/open-data-day-2013/census/>, and
> for this work to focus on kicking off the City Census.
>
> As part of the preparation for starting the City Census we need to select
> the list of 10-15 "key" datasets which this first round of the census will
> focus on.
>
> I'm therefore writing to solicit* people's suggestions and input into
> which datasets this list should contain*.
>
> A current draft list in an online spreadsheet here<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aon3JiuouxLUdEVHQ0c4RGlRWm9Gak54NGV0UlpfOGc#gid=3> and
> I've also inlined the current top 15 items below.
>
> The spreadsheet is *open for editing so you can either add things there
> or comment here on list*.
>
> *Note: to ensure that things do not get overwritten and confusion ensues
> please add suggestions for new datasets below the line and add comments on
> cells rather than edit cells directly.*
> *
> *
> Regards,
>
> Rufus
>
> ### Current 15  key datasets for Cities and Regions
>
> Public transport timetables
> City budget
> Detailed actual spending
> Election results (by constituency / district)
> Air quality
> Location of public transport stops & stations
> Location of schools
> Crime statistics
> Health statistics (location of hospitals / surgeries, number of patients)
> Water Quality
> Procurement contracts
> Restaurant hygiene evaluations
> Road traffic accidents
> Building permits
> Prices of municipal services

Daniela Mattern
Coordenadora Geral
IT3S - Instituto de Fomento à Tecnologia do Terceiro Setor
Rua Emiliano Cardoso de Mello, 34
Vila Butantã
CEP: 05360-000
São Paulo - SP