[open-government] Open (Govt.) Data Marketing

Michael Roberts michael.roberts at acclar.org
Wed Jan 16 18:53:15 UTC 2013

Hi Tom, Johann,

I very much agree with Tom's thinking of finding those communities of practise that have an interest in using the data.   That's not necessarily the technical audience who likes to see open data initiatives move forward, but communities of practise that engage and integrate this data into their work.

As well, building out the open data sharing as a community initiative and hosting events can create a whole network of people who believe in the project and they'll become your marketing team.    This definitely seems to be the case with IATI.

Lastly, many of the social media marketing techniques you hear about for content can also apply to data, and there are even SEO techniques to increase the chance of these datasets to be found in search.

Cheers,
Michael