[open-government] Open Census Workshop: Call for feedback and input.

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 19:11:56 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On Monday 16 September a workshop on the Open Data Census (
http://census.okfn.org/) will take place as part of the OKCon in Geneva.
Christian Villum (OKFN) and I will be hosting this workshop.

We are interested in hearing your ideas on how to best use our time
together at this workshop. And of course if you already know if you will
attend!

For now we think we can three different angles during this workshop:
1) improving an gathering data in the census
2) do development work on the census, working through the existing list of
issues
3) map out how to extend the Census in terms of countries, features, as
well as the types of data sets the Census tracks.

We are very much interested in how to make the Census more useful as a tool
for you to work with your own national government to do more and do better.
This may mean that we need to figure out how to move the goalposts over
time, when more countries score high points (what would currently be the
drive for Norway at #1 to do more?)
This may mean adding sections that look at different groups of datasets.
The 10 we track now are sort-of the basics, the infrastructure. But if we
want to tackle serious societal issues with open data, we probably want to
see very different data sets being released (healthcare to mention one
example).

What would for you be the most useful thing to do, so the Open Data Census
can be stronger tool for your Open Data work?

best,

Ton Zijlstra, lead editor Open Data Census

Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra

ton at tonzijlstra.eu
+31-6-34489360