No subject

Sun Mar 31 09:34:23 UTC 2013

decentralized, and so awkward to access.<br>
&gt; - is it a kind of standard format (unique identifier) to identify a<br=

&gt; company ? If I had to implement that, what would be the best way to do=
&gt; this ?<br>
r>
across different countries.<br>
The most common system is the DUNS number<br>
(<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Universal_Numbering_System" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Universal_Numbering_Syst=
em</a>). But this<br>
is controlled by one company which provides company data on a commercial<br=

basis, so it&#39;s preferable to avoid it where possible.<br>
You can try using the opencorporates reconciliation API to get their<br>
standard ID for a company. This will help map from free text to a<br>
company identifier, and will get you a link to the official company<br>
registry in many countries. See<br>
nk">http://api.opencorporates.com/documentation/Home</a><br>
As for getting financial information: it depends. For UK companies it is<br=

available in (paid) company filings. Duedil.com make it available for<br>
free, but their API costs several thousand pounds per month. I&#39;m not<br=

aware of good free global data sources on revenues; if you find any, I<br>
would be glad to hear about them.<br>
best,<br>
Dan<br>
--<br>
Dan O&#39;Huiginn<br>
Organised Crime and Corruption Reporting Project<br>
danohu<br>
roject.net</a><br>
On 03/06/13 16:42, Antoine Logean wrote:<br>
&gt; Dear all,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; In a project we have to solve the following problem:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We have a long list of company names and we would like to retrieve for=
&gt; each company the annual revenue. As it is a pretty straight forward<br=

&gt; information that can be useful in many different context, I imagine th=
at<br>
&gt; there are already such existing resources/services.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; For companies that are on the stocks market I could use yahoo Finance,=
&gt; Google finance or MSM money.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The problem start by private companies. As they are not on the stock<b=
r>
&gt; market, they do not have the obligation to share financial data as<br>
&gt; public companies and the information they share is not consistent or<b=
r>
&gt; regulated. Here I have found some existing services like<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - <a href=3D"http://www.manta.com" target=3D"_blank">http://www.manta.=
com</a><br>
&gt; - <a href=3D"http://www.hoovers.com" target=3D"_blank">http://www.hoov=
ers.com</a><br>
&gt; - <a href=3D"http://www.mergentonline.com" target=3D"_blank">http://ww=
w.mergentonline.com</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As I do not want to re-invent the wheel, I would have the following<br=

&gt; questions:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - is it a kind of standard format (unique identifier) to identify a<br=

&gt; company ? If I had to implement that, what would be the best way to do=
&gt; this ?<br>
&gt; - is there an existing open company index/register that aggregate<br>
&gt; various economical information about companies ?<br>
&gt; - is there already RDF vocabularies existing to describe such economic=
al<br>
&gt; information about companies ?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I would be interested in any information, links &amp; hints that could=
 help<br>
&gt; me to solve this problem.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks in advance for your help.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Kind regards<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Antoine Logean<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Opendata.ch - Enabling Open Government Data in Switzerland<br>
&gt; Antoine Logean | Founding Board Member | Community &amp; Communication=
 FR<br>
">+41 79 3518482</a> | <a href=3D"mailto:antoine.logean at opendata.ch">antoin=
e.logean at opendata.ch</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:antoine.logean at openda=
ta.ch">antoine.logean at opendata.ch</a>&gt; | <a href=3D"http://twitter.com/e=