[open-government] Freedom of Information Portals and Mobiles

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Wed May 15 07:55:10 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm just doing a quick bit of scouting around to see what I can find out
about how mobiles can be used in areas with low access to the internet,
particularly if there are any pre-existing software projects that make use
of them.

Ideally I'm looking for something that will work with non-smartphone users
and allow them to send and receive some kind of information.

Realising the limitations of how much information you can fit into one text
message, the answer might not be to actually receive a full answer by SMS.
An alternative could just be that an organisation with access to the
internet could act as a proxy - and a notification could be texted to the
sender's mobile phone when the answer is received.

All the best,

Lucy

--

**

*Lucy Chambers*

Project Coordinator  | skype: lucyfediachambers  |  tel: +44 7909 330731  |
 @lucyfedia <http://twitter.com/lucyfedia>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

OpenSpending | http://openspending.org/ |
@openspending<http://twitter.com/openspending>|Tracking every
government financial transaction across the world

School of Data | http://schoolofdata.org |
@schoolofdata<http://twitter.com/schoolofdata>| Evidence is Power