[open-government] Long term preservation and archival for Open Data

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:43:27 BST 2013

Interesting question Ivan!

In general I think governments cannot be presumed to keep supplying data
for the sake of re-users only. For instance when the governments purpose
for the data collection no longer exists.

There are however various scenarios where mirroring of data might make
sense:
Government bodies reneging on earlier open data commitments or taking steps
towards less transparency
Government shutdowns as in the US (unlikely elsewhere in the world)
Government bodies dissolving without transfer of data tasks/responsibilities
Budget cuts hitting open data provision
etc.

A lot depends on the data itself as well. As archiving data may mean said
data is rapidly becoming useless / outdated, other than for archival
purposes themselves.
For other types of data having historic data may actually be more valuable
than just the current data. (e.g. I've been involved in a small project
where government only published todays values of data, but provided no
historic data, which we addressed by archiving the daily releases.)

best,
Ton

Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra