[open-government] Seeking advice on China's open data policy

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 19:14:32 UTC 2014

Dear Feng,

I would suggest the Open Readiness Assessment Tool from the World Bank
which offers a good framework
http://data.worldbank.org/about/open-government-data-toolkit/readiness-assessment-tool

You can also have a look to the work done by the Web Foundation which uses
the same kind of methodology
http://webfoundation.org/2013/06/new-research-open-data-in-indonesia/

As for evaluation of impact and performance, you can have a look to the
Open Data Barometer
http://www.opendataresearch.org/project/2013/odb

Regards
Pierre

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM, Timothy Vollmer
<tvol at creativecommons.org>wrote:

> Hi Feng:
>
> I'm assuming there is a lot of good information already available to help
> start answering the questions. Such as
>
> http://sunlightfoundation.com/opendataguidelines/
> http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Open_Data_Policy
>
> http://www.socrata.com/open-data-field-guide-chapter/developing-your-open-data-policy/
>
> http://www.lapsi-project.eu/sites/lapsi-project.eu/files/D5.2LicensingGuidelinesPO.pdf
> http://project-open-data.github.io/
> http://opendatahandbook.org/
>
> Hope this helps as a start.
> tvol
>

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:47 AM, FENG GAO <gaofeng860918 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, all
>>
>> Recently I was approached by a researcher from a China's gov-funded think
>> tank. She is doing research for the gov to prepare China's open data policy
>> which will focus on economic value and social innovation. And the work is
>> at its early stage now, so she has many questions around open data policy.
>>
>> She knows there are many experts on this list, so she asked me to forward
>> her questions to seek advices here. if you can suggest any references or
>> directly answer any questions, it would be great. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. when the central gov tries to promote open data in the country, what
>> kinds of regulations or policies are needed to support such work?
>>
>> 2. what kind of management system should the gov design to manage and
>> support open data suppliers,  open data publisher and open data users?
>>
>> 3. what kind of challenges should the gov prepare to face? especially
>> when they want to focus on economic value?
>>
>> 4. what kind of evaluation framework can the gov use to evaluate impact
>> and performance of its open data initiative?
>>

>> best,
>> Feng
>>

>> --
>> Feng GAO <http://about.me/feng_gao> | @okfncnfenggao<http://twitter.com/okfncnfenggao> |
>> skype: fenggaosh
>> mobile: 0086-13764007565 | wechat: fenggaosh
>> Ambassador for China, Open Knowledge Foundation
>>
>> Open Data China (开放数据中国) <http://opendatachina.com>| @开放数据中国<http://weibo.com/opendatachina>
>> Advocate, Cultivate, and Support Open Data Innovation
>>
>> OKF China Local Group (开放知识基金会中国) <http://cn.okfn.org>
>> Weibo: @开放知识基金会中国 <http://weibo.com/okfncn> |Twitter: @okfncn<http://twitter.com/okfncn>

*Pierre Chrzanowski*
*Expert Open Data*