[open-government] Seeking advice on China's open data policy

Darcy W. Christ darcy at 1000camels.com
Tue Apr 22 03:58:30 UTC 2014

Hi Feng,

Here are a few ideas of mine. Obviously I have no idea how well any of these ideas will be received in China, but I am optimistic about open data there. China has the ability to push for greater disclosure policies country wide.

1) The central government should establish an open license under which all data is released. It can be based upon the creative commons or developed specifically for CN. Creative Commons licenses are ideal, but they could also look to how the UK established their own license.

All departments should be encouraged to release data early and often. This includes small datasets as well as big. The power of even small data (ie. statistics) gathered by a government department could prove useful to someone. It is difficult to know how data will be used, and in many respects, it is better to ignore that question.

2) ckan is a great system for gathering together datasets and it should be used. However, there is nothing better for getting data out then simply releasing it with the appropriate metadata (ie. description of exactly what it is). Search engines will index it, and when people search for information, they use search engines first, rather than navigate through complex government websites. Don’t spend too much effort on a searchable portal. These are always less effective than search engines and data shared on social networks.

3) Releasing data is an evolving process. No format will be right at first. Each department needs to be prepared to work with NGOs, journalists and other stakeholders to determine what formats are useful. Regarding economic value, it will take time to process data and make use of it. A policy to release data before determining its value will bring positive and surprising results.

4) Don’t over-emphasise download analytics. Look at the use of the data, not just whether it is downloaded. For example, articles that Journalists produce will better illustrate how much impact it has. As with all analytics, it will take time to get good statistics. Steps can be taken to anticipate what metrics to measure, but this will change over time. In the early stages of an open data program, the focus should be more upon getting the data out. If a country is good about opening their data, it will become very clear over time.

Darcy W. Christ
Digital Generalist
@1000camels