[open-government] Pilot International Survey on Governmental Online Openness (Georgia, Belarus, Russia, USA)

Tatyana Tolsteneva tatyana.tolsteneva at svobodainfo.org
Tue Aug 5 10:19:00 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Greetings from the Freedom of Information Foundation, St.-Petersburg, Russia.

Having analyzed the article by Professor Sheila S. Coronel, titled "Measuring Openness: A survey of transparency ratings and the prospects for a global index", we asked ourselves: Is it possible to create a worldwide measure for the openness of governments? In order to answer this question we organized a pilot survey on the basis of an already-completed method of grading the openness of government websites.
This survey is a collaborated effort. We worked out survey parameters illustrating level of proactive online information disclosure culture for one government or another, and invited our colleagues abroad to evaluate the state of affairs in their countries.

Here you can find summary report and links for the country reports:http://en.infometer.org/analitika/international-survey-on-governmental-online-openness
Of course, we realize that our initiative is a very first step and could seem disputable. So we are open for your questions, critics, and remarks connected with our approach in general or with the research parameters. Also, we are very interested in expanding this project through involving new countries. If you are interested to join or want to learn more, please contact me:tatyana.tolsteneva at svobodainfo.org

Yours sincerely,

Tatyana Tolsteneva
Program Director
tatyana.tolsteneva at svobodainfo.org

Freedom of Information Foundation

(formerly known as Institute for Information Freedom Development)

P.O. Box 527, St.-Petersburg, 192007, Russia
Phone:  +7 812 766-03-66

Fax: +7 812 766-52-61

Email: info at svobodainfo.org

www.svobodainfo.org