[open-government] Government Data on Homicides by Law Enforcement

morgan currie morganecurrie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:29:35 UTC 2014

Greetings everyone,

I'm a PhD student at the University of California, Los Angeles, researching
open data. I've been silently following this list for several months now
and really enjoying all the contributions.

Currently I'm involved in a team project an open data at UCLA, to explore
un- and under-reported incidents of homicides carried out by law
enforcement officers, both justified and unjustified, in the United States.

We want to survey the state of available data on this issue, and I'm
wondering if anyone on this listserve knows of sources or of any similar
projects around the world that might be tracking data on homicides by
police.

Data we know of includes:
The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program (UCR)
The FBI's Supplementary Homicide Report (SHR)
US Justice Department releases Arrest Related Deaths (ARD)
Center for Disease Control's National Violent Death Recording System

None of these databases are comprehensive, as many law enforcement agencies
and states do not submit data. The largest databases of police homicides in
the U.S. are quite incomplete. In all cases, the data do not get to a
granular level, showing date or details on perpetrator or victim.

I'd appreciate any help or advice from this list on this issue.

Best wishes,
Morgan Currie