[open-government] [PMO Network] Dare to talk about your mistakes -- submit your failure story

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Thu Aug 6 18:15:44 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 10:28 AM, Julia Keserű wrote:
> We at Sunlight have long been thinking
> <http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2015/05/05/a-new-approach-to-measuring-the-impact-of-open-data/>
> about what works and what doesn't workH in civic technology, but our
> emphasis so far has mostly been on the success stories
> <http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/series/wednesdays-winners/>.
> Inspired by the CodeforAll summit last week in NYC and some of the
> most recent announcement about retiring civic tech projects, today
> we're trying to get the other side of the story with a short survey
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zVVwCIgy-EJ6RPau-2hX6xXwrK-gSMVHBkfrv8-G4EM/viewform>,
> to paint a more complete picture of the landscape.

I've got a lot of failure stories! I've just written up some of them here:

https://medium.com/@joshuatauberer/my-failures-civic-technology-ideas-that-didn-t-quite-work-c73ecf730032

Excerpting below my signature. (There are more stories in the Medium post.)

Josh

      The First GovTrack Insider (2009–2010)

In the midst of the debate over healthcare back in 2009–2010, and while
GovTrack usage was reaching an all-time high, I quietly launched what
was the first/GovTrack Insider./

The 2009–2010 GovTrack Insider

I hired a small team of “reporters” (I think I found most on craigslist)
to watch congressional hearings and write up what happened. I combined
this with aggregated content fromOpenCongress
<http://opencongress.org/>’s blog (mostly by Donny Shaw), Jim Harper’s
blog posts onWashingtonWatch
<http://from%20november%202009%20through%20may%202010%2C%20at%20the%20height%20of%20the%20debate%20over%20healthcare/>,
and some other sources in an attempt to create a deep-dive picture of
what Congress did each day.

This went on from November 2009 through May 2010.

No one read it.

Obviously.

To be sure, I didn’t promote it on GovTrack very well or very much. No
one wanted to read about what committees were voting on anyway.

      Real Congress: Like C-SPAN, but C-SPAN

Around the same time, I decided that the most important value of my work
on legislative information is explaining to the American public not what
our government is doing but how our government/actually works/.

So in 2009 I began planning an interactive media project to take
Americans inside the halls of Congress. I called it a reality TV show
about Congress. Everyone just said that was C-SPAN.

At that year’s Transparency Camp West I met MAPLight’s research director
Emily Calhoun, who — in a stroke of massive luck — had experience in
documentary film making. (She’sproducing a cool film
<http://www.seedandspark.com/users/emily-29>right now.) So I recruited
Emily and Jay Dedman, who I think had produced Transparency Camp
(East)’s event video, to work on this project with me.

It was an ambitious idea that would have relied on deep access to
insider meetings, lots of time and expense on video production, and
community development.

We wrote a grant proposal and I started to contact folks that might
help, but Knight Foundation’s super insulting rejection letter made me
realize I did not want to spend my time begging for money. That was
pretty much the end of that. I also didn’t have the access to Congress
that I thought I had.

      A Collaboratively Written Petition

Everyone has long known that petitions are not effective for legislative
advocacy. So when David Stern and colleagues launched MixedInk, a
collaborative writing platform, I was interested to see how it could be
used for legislative advocacy.

We tried a hybrid of a written letter and a petition. 450 GovTrack users
came together tocollaboratively write a letter to Congress about a gun
control bill
<https://www.govtrack.us/blog/2009/05/22/delivering-the-hr-45-group-letter/>using
their MixedInk tool, and then later over 3,000 other users signed the
letter.

David and I delivered the letter personally to nine congressional
offices to see what their reaction was.

David Stern delivering a letter to Congress with me in 2009

The staffers we talked to while delivering the letter didn’t think what
we did was interesting. To them, it was a petition. Maybe we just didn’t
have enough participants.

      The Semantic Web for Legislative Data

Back around 2005–2006 I was a big believer in the semantic web. I took
the legislative data on GovTrack and produced the largestlinked open
data <http://linkeddata.org/>database at the time. My conference talks
around this time discussed how linked data would make it easier to build
great tools for civic technology.

That never happened.

      ANCFinder

ANCFinder <http://ancfinder.org/>is a project I work on atCode for DC
<http://codefordc.org/>, primarily with Steven Reilly, Kelli Shewmaker,
Leah Bannon, and a handful of other generous volunteers. The site is
about the District of Columbia’s hyper-local Advisory Neighborhood
Commission system.

Our site is kind of like a GovTrack for a very narrow and local aspect
of DC municipal government.

We built a shiny website explaining the ANC system and linking to
documents produced by the ANCs (meeting minutes and so on), and we have
a bottweeting when there are ANC meetings
<https://twitter.com/ancfinder>. The project began in early 2013.

No one uses the website. We do have some actual Twitter followers though.

What happened? We didn’t get any buy-in from ANC commissioners or the
city government. Did we try? We had some meetings, but we didn’t
follow-through very well.

The bottom line is, we’ve beenbuilding for, instead of with
<http://www.buildwith.org/>.

Which isn’t to say there was no value here. In fact, working on
ANCFinder has been very valuable for me personally and for Code for DC
as an organization. We’ve learned a lot about DC in the process — that’s
hugely important — and the DC government has learned about us. But on
its own terms, ANCFinder hasn’t really done much.