[open-government] Call for researchers for the 3rd edition of the Open Data Barometer

Carlos Iglesias carlos.iglesias.moro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 20:52:55 UTC 2015

Dear Yuwei,

Let me try to explain better myself. Of course we are interested in open
data research in Taiwan and elsewhere in the world. Unfortunately,
resources are never infinite and always a factor to limit the number of
countries we could analyse at the Barometer.

I think I have already explained our criteria for countries sampling. We
just try to cover as much as possible with the available resources,
extending on the top of the countries from previous editions and always
keeping a fair balance between the different world regions as well. Note
also that, despite current global open data momentum, there were not so
much active open data countries three years ago when we started with the
initial list of countries. We take also seriously into account the feedback
and demand from the global community and thus we have indeed been already
incorporating in every new edition different countries where that demand
was clear, as it is know in the case of Taiwan. Still, the problem is that
at this stage the scope for this year is already complete and, although we
keep considering your request, Taiwan was out of our initial planning and
likely not possible to be incorporated for this edition.

In the meanwhile, this new edition we will keep deepening and broadening
the ODB, improving the methodology and increasing the countries coverage as
we always did. Nevertheless, we know that we may be still leaving behind
some countries where open data has already presence as it could be in the
case of Taiwan. Hopefully they will be also part of the Barometer soon.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
All the best,
 CI.