[open-history] Hypernotes: weaving history reloaded

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 17 10:17:08 UTC 2011

On 16 June 2011 17:05, universero, trio <trio at esperanto.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> I've been working on a refactor of microfacts / weaving history under
>> the 'codename' "hypernotes". It's currently at the pre-pre-pre-alpha
>> stage.
>
>   I don't know how much work you've put into it, but it's very clean,
> useful and visually appealing.

Thanks. It's a revamp of original (read done in 2007) work on
http://weavinghistory.org/

>> I'm trying to do as much as possible in pure javascript (though at
>> some point going to need some kind of backend).
>
>   nosql?

Thinking about it :-) I've used couchdb (for http://annotateit.org/),
mongodb (for http://openspending.org/) and am thinking about trying
out riak. Alternatively the *really* simple option is just abusing sql
(serialize json into a field and pull out most important columns).

>> A demo app can be found here:
>>
>> <http://dev.okfn.org/hypernotes/app/>
>>
>> At the moment it only saves to local storage so data persistence is
>> pretty limited but the basic quick-add system works as does the
>> timemap.
>
>   Thank you. I made a few notes and it looks really excellent. I
> presume the "About" would get you to some date/time format rules, etc.
> I tried putting in a duration "2011 jun 17 - 2011 jun 20" and got
> nothing, for example.

Try putting in something like:

World War I ^1 August 1914^ ^11 November 1918^ @Europe@ #war #europe

That will work. Convention is ^...^ for dates, @...@ for location #...
for tags (it should give these instructions in the input field but
this relies on support for placeholder tag).

>> Code is here (may switch to github if demand for it):
>>
>> <https://github.com/okfn/hypernotes>
>
>   No time right now, but i would like to revisit in a month or so.

Great :-)

Rufus