[open-humanities] Fwd: Sudamih Researcher Requirements Report launched

Niels-Oliver Walkowski walkowski at jojuhu.com
Tue Jul 27 07:56:23 UTC 2010

> Although the participants in the
> interviews are all Oxford-based, there is little to suggest that the
> way humanities scholars approach data management here is very
> different from at other UK Universities,

Thank you for the post. I am really looking forward to read it. In fact it
seems to me that the precise needs of data curation and data management for
the humanities have to be defined more sharply.

At the beginning of the year there was published a report by the JISC called
"Data Dimensions" http://www.dcc.ac.uk/docs/publications/SCARP%20SYNTHESIS.pdf
, a case studie about the use and curation of data in different scientific
disciplines. Only two of the almost 35 pages treat arts and humanities, a
situation which the publishers regret absolutely. On the other hand the
publication demonstrates that the sensibility of data curators for data in the
humanities is very limited because they have no clear idea about how such
projects use their data and how usability in this content could be preserved
when the data is published.

It already begins with the realization that data in the humanities can be far
more than in other sciences. A book for example can be a resource for
discourse but also a resource of linguistic or philological data.

http://www.craigbellamy.net/2010/04/07/what-is-eresearch-in-the-arts-and-
humanities/

To clearly define a profile of digital resources in the humanities for curation
purpos in the context of publicating it and making it "open" is something
which I hope we can undertake in discussions on the list.

regards
Niels

Niels-Oliver Walkowski

Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
TELOTA - The Electronic Life Of The Academy
Jägerstr. 22/23
10117

+49 30 20370 264

http://www.bbaw.de
http://www.telota.de
walkowski at bbaw.de
Twitter: http://twitter.com/PersDatRep
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=138792842142&ref=nf
Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik
http://www.i-d-e.de