[open-humanities] finding and searching OA humanities journals

Ulrich Herb u.herb at scinoptica.com
Sat Aug 6 08:42:28 UTC 2011

Hi all,

> My feeling is a major problem is that OA material can be published in
> many different ways, for example through self-archiving, archiving
> through an institution or through a journal.

I guess far the most repositories and open access journals are using the
OAI PMH to offer document metadata for harvesting. So it would be very
useful to use an OAI harvester to collect this metadata. Inho
unfortunately the metadata quality is not that good  - but at least OAI
works quite well.

> These might require
> different ways of aggregation, and different ways of searching.
  I totally agree with you.

> At any
> rate, anything OA makes the text available, which means it can be scraped.
As John mentioned there are many ways of publishing open access content.
And that also means there is a confusing mixture and diversity of terms
of use. Some open access journals are using creative commons licences,
but I guess the majority of them does not use CC licences that are
compliant to the open definition. Not to forget, that a large amount of
OA journals does not use any CC licence, which also means that the
documents published in these journals can only by used according to
copyright restrictions. The case with repositories is even worse, often
the authors transferred all their rights exclusively to the journal or
publishing house and they are only allowed to deposit their articles on
a repository due to publishers goodwill.  I do not want be too
pessimistic, but I am not quite sure if "scraping" (as I understand the
term) is allowed for all the content, that is available under open
access conditions. So it might be more transparent to collect the
metadata with an oai harvester, offer it via an search interface that
also displays under what sort of licence the content is available and
how it can be used.

best regards

Uli

--