[open-humanities] Statement on Open Access from History Journal editors

John Levin john at anterotesis.com
Tue Dec 11 09:24:45 UTC 2012

Dear list,

The editors of a number of history journals have issued a statement on
open access:
http://www.history.ac.uk/news/2012-12-10/statement-position-relation-open-access
It's very disappointing, and very odd as well. The kicker is the fourth
point:

4. The licence that we will offer for publication in EITHER green OR
gold will be a CCBY NC ND (creative commons non-commercial
non-derivative) licence only; that is, it will not allow commercial
reuse, or tweaking or reuse of parts of an article (text mining). The
government has specified that ‘gold’ access is to be given on a CCBY
licence, the most permissive form of creative commons licence that there
is. This however means that commercial re-use, plagiarism, and
republication of an author’s work will be possible, subject to the
author being ‘credited’ (but it is not clear in what way they would be
credited). We believe that this is a serious infringement of
intellectual property rights and we do not want our authors to have to
sign away their rights in order to publish with us.

John

--
John Levin
http://www.anterotesis.com