[open-humanities] More (technical) details about RSC's 'My Shakespeare'

James Harriman-Smith open-shakespeare at okfn.org
Tue Feb 28 12:55:13 UTC 2012

Hi,

Just got these details out of the RSC ('Bureau' refers to their
in-house programming team). What do people think? I note that there is
no Facebook integration, no filtering (the #shakespeare), and I'm not
sure how we could make use of their API. They promise a more detailed
wiki soonish.

James

------------------- RSC:

Here is a brief description of the API which Bureau intends to
construct to allow access to our MyShakespeare dataset.

Date-range: previous day/week/month

Publisher: Twitter/eBay/Flickr/all

Search term: specific term/all terms

Access to the api is through URLs which will have a structure like this:

api.myshakespeare.com/data.php?date=11-01-2011&publisher=twitter&term=all
api.myshakespeare.com/data.php?date=01-2011&publisher=all&term=hamlet

The api will return an rss file.RSS files are the chosen format as
they work with widget builders and yahoo pipes.

Technically the files are pre-generated every night and uploaded to
amazon. This ensures that the api load will not influence the
performance of the main site and also scales in terms of access.

--
James Harriman-Smith
Open Literature Working Group Coordinator