[open-humanities] Open Databases for Verb Morphology

James Harriman-Smith james.harriman-smith at cantab.net
Fri Jan 20 11:09:35 UTC 2012

Dear Gabby,

It isn't in the core functionality, as far as I'm aware, but I wonder if it
> would be possible to reverse engineer such a set of lists from the Open
> Source "Morpheus" code published by The Perseus Project (see
> http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/**hopper/opensource<http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/opensource>),
> which enables morphological parsing of declined Greek (or Latin, Italian,
> Arabic) forms. E.g. if you enter the verb form χρησθῆναι, it will return:
>
> χράω2 proclaim
> χρησθῆναι verb aor inf pass
>
> And does a pretty good job with irregular verbs etc.
>
> As I understand (without having looked at the underlying code) Morpheus is
> built on a ruleset rather than a database of possible forms, but you might
> be able to adapt the code to generate such.

Thanks for the tips, I was actually in the process of downloading the code
when you emailed! I will take a look at it and have a think about ways that
this might be done with reverse engineering. Perhaps a game of 'how many of
the verbs in Plato's Republic can you identify?', i.e. analysing all the
verbs in a restrained corpus, then using that as the data for a quiz.

After seeing your email, I searched for 'Morpheus' and landed on Diogenes
too: http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Diogenes/index.php, which I'm
also downloading.It appears to be able to generate custom databases...

> HTH,
>
> Gabby
>

> On 2012-01-19 18:08, James Harriman-Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi Norma,
>>
>> And thanks for the mail.
>>
>> <Got an  example? >
>>
>> I'm afraid that I haven't any examples of such a thing online, but what
>> I'm looking for would be a database that had, say, (using English
>> regular verbs as an archetype), all the possible variants on the verb
>> 'walk' in it, catalogued accordingly: 'walk' as infinitive, and, for the
>> present tense indicative mood, first-second person singular, and
>> first-second-third person plural (among others); 'walks' as third person
>> singular; etc.
>>
>> I've been working on this for a web app that would interrogate a users
>> knowledge of Ancient Greek verbs: http://verbgymnasium.com - it
>> currently runs off a set of php arrays that I made myself, but if the
>> amount of work needed to include verbs other than the regular verb 'luo'
>> is rather intimidating....
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> James
>>
>> On 19 January 2012 18:41, Norma Leistiko <normaleistiko at me.com
>> <mailto:normaleistiko at me.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Got an  example? I am on the lookout and would love to find this
>>    too. But an example to us in English would be very useful. I think I
>>    understand, but example would help.
>>
>>    Norma Leistiko
>>    normaleistiko at me.com <mailto:normaleistiko at me.com>
>>
>>    Reference Librarian, on-call in
>>    Portland Oregon area
>>

>>    On Jan 19, 2012, at 2:06 AM, James Harriman-Smith wrote:
>>
>>     Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>    Does anyone know of an open database for verb morphology
>>>    (containing a collection of all the possible conjugations of a
>>>    single (or several) verb archetype)? I'm particularly interested
>>>    in Ancient Greek, but would be curious about resources for other
>>>    languages, dead or alive.
>>>
>>>    Let me know,
>>>
>>>    James
>>>
>>>    P.S. No sign of such a thing on http://thedatahub.org
>>>    <http://thedatahub.org/> ...
>>>

> --
> Dr Gabriel BODARD
> (Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)
>
> Department of Digital Humanities
> King's College London
> 26-29 Drury Lane
> London WC2B 5RL