[open-humanities] The First Folio

Seth Woodworth seth at sethish.com
Thu Apr 24 15:25:45 UTC 2014

Let me begin by thanking Bodleian for releasing this resource online, and
for creating this wonderful TEI edition.
Thank you doubly for licensing this work under a license compatible with
free cultural works (unlike the current quartos.org).
I will, of course, cite your organization as requested in any projects
where I might use your works.
But, I believe you are mistaken in your licensing on the scans.

In the UK and US there is a doctrine that states that there is no
sweat-of-brow copyright.
Transcribing the work into a new format (.jpg) does not grant a fresh
copyright on the work.
Ownership of copyright is a prerequisite to licensing it to third parties,
under a CC license or otherwise.
Wikipedia has a policy about scans of PD
works<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:When_to_use_the_PD-Art_tag>,
that may be relevant.

I am unclear if a TEI document is a new creative work, or a faithful
conversion into a new format, implying it isn't copyrightable either.
But I would be very curious to hear people's positions on the matter.

Again, your licensing terms are 100% agreeable to me, and I will respect
your wishes for attribution regardless.

All the best,
Seth Wolfwood