[open-humanities] [Open-humanities] mapping publicly funded content and data in the UK for a petition for open licensing

John Cummings John.Cummings at wikimedia.org.uk
Wed Dec 3 17:55:24 UTC 2014

Hi John

This is one of the many things to work out, I would really love if it
included:

   - Content and data from publicly funded science research
   - Content and data produced by publicly funded galleries, libraries,
   archives and museums including the national museums and work that is funded
   by the public in local cultural organisation too.
   - Teaching material produced by people working in publicly funded
   positions in schools and universities.

I realise this may be different and maybe more than other people would like
to ask for. I'm thinking of this as kind of a wish list for all open
organisations in the UK and to show public support for the benefit that
would bring.

Thanks

John

On 3 December 2014 at 15:31, John Levin <john at anterotesis.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is a very interesting idea.
>
> One thing I'm not clear on is what constitutes a Government funded work. I
> presume that it includes official publications under crown copyright; and
> also those released under the Open Govt License. But it sounds like it
> encompasses far more than that.
>
> Best,
>
> John
>

> On 03/12/2014 12:35, John Cummings wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I met the staff at 38 Degrees a couple of months ago to talk about
>> online communities. One thing that came up that was surprising to them
>> was that government funded works in the UK are not in general available
>> under an open license, it got me thinking, why hasn’t it happened yet?
>>

>> A stand out factor for me is that while the public good of open
>> licensing can be at least in part demonstrated, the general public's
>> awareness and want for open license for publicly funded content has not
>> been quantified. This could lead to the government seeing open licensing
>> as a niche topic pushed by special interest groups, not seen as a “vote
>> winner”.
>>

>> I’m exploring the idea of starting a 38 Degrees campaign with both a
>> public petition and endorsement by organisations to ask the government
>> to mandate open licenses for publicly funded content and data. Something
>> like:
>>

>> Publicly funded work to be reusable and shareable by the public:
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     Content to be released under a OGL/CC-BY license or CC0.
>>
>>   *
>>
>>     Data to be released under CC0
>>

>> One thing that would be immensely useful is to understand what content
>> and data would be made available if this were to be enacted. Does anyone
>> know of any way to find out this information?
>>
>> A similar project was attempted in Poland but it was challenged by the
>> creative sector who saw it as an attempt to steal creators rights, any
>> suggestions on how to add a caveat to avoid this would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> I've started a proposal here for anyone interested in reading it, any
>> comments or information would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to
>> share this with other lists please do.
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EO4vNPUEfIBIJFUBMWu36_
>> FQRfy5GMiaps9OEQO_AqQ/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> Many thanks
>> John
>>

> --
> John Levin
> http://www.anterotesis.com
> http://twitter.com/anterotesis

*John Cummings - **Wikimedia UK volunteer*
tweet @mrjohnc

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk