[open-humanities] OpenLiterature v1.0 - let's do a reboot!

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 16 08:19:16 UTC 2015

On 15 February 2015 at 15:10, John Levin <john at anterotesis.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Regret I have very limited time - and am out of the UK - at the moment. In
> any case it seems that the work to be done is mainly technical, coding, at
> this point. Once Textus is up and running, then the non-techie humanists
> can get stuck in, putting up texts etc.

I would say there is need right now for a lot of *non*-techincal engagement
- from being site editor, to blogging, tweeting, writing new essays, doing
user testing, coordinating, organizing events. So would definitely welcome
non-technical folks here :-)

A couple of side-matters:
> 1: Is this the OL twitter account? https://twitter.com/OpenLiterature Is
> anyone looking after it?

No - but we could (i also wonder if we should move over OpenShakespeare to
here since it already has quite a few followers)

> 2: I have cleared spam and pending spam from the OL & Open Hums wordpress
> sites.

Amazing!

> 3: Fixed the links in this post:
> http://openliterature.net/2011/09/05/shakespeare-and-the-internet/
> which were directing to Open Shakespeare & 404ing.

Fantastic - and thanks!

Rufus

> Best,
>
> John
>
> On 15/02/2015 14:39, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wanted to restart the conversation on getting OpenLiterature v1.0
>> launched. In terms of key steps:
>>
>> 1. Identify the minimal viable product for OpenLiterature.net
>>
>> This also relates to minimal viable "Textus" platform to power this (for
>> background and slide deck see http://okfnlabs.org/textus/). At present
>> the key things would be finishing the viewer JS lib (we are 80% there)
>> and integrating this into the wordpress site.
>>
>> Requirement: a discussion on this list
>>
>> We already have an issue list
>> <https://github.com/okfn/openliterature.net/issues> that could be useful
>>
>> 2. Estimate work and skills needed
>>
>> My guess is we are talking about 3-6 person weeks here to get to MVP -
>> though we would need to properly estimate.
>>
>> 3. Recruit team
>>
>> Anticipate roles like:
>>
>> - Product Owner
>> - Cat herder (scrum master)
>> - Site Editor
>> - Designer
>> - Frontend JS (viewer)
>> - Wordpress Plugin write (PHP)
>>
>> Probably work asynchronously around a series of sprints (e.g. a few
>> weekend or Saturday sprints)
>>
>> Who's interested? In particular, who would be interested in coordinating
>> the initial phase of getting us all moving again?
>>
>> Rufus
>>

> --
> John Levin
> http://www.anterotesis.com
> http://twitter.com/anterotesis

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.