[open-humanities] OpenLiterature v1.0 - let's do a reboot!

James Harriman-Smith james.harriman-smith at cantab.net
Sun Feb 22 07:36:25 UTC 2015

So, to quote Rufus,  task 1: Identify the minimal viable product for
OpenLiterature.net
(This also relates to minimal viable "Textus" platform to power this (for
background and slide deck see http://okfnlabs.org/textus/). At present the
key things would be finishing the viewer JS lib (we are 80% there) and
integrating this into the wordpress site.)

Off the top of my head, I'd like Open Literature to have the following
minimum capabilities:

1. Upload of texts in a simple format, ideally one used on Gutenberg
2. Allow those texts to be annotated by users publicly
3. Make annotations and texts searchable

What have I missed? Stuff like anonymous and logged-in annotation would be
nice, as would a page where a user could see what they had been annotating,
but none of this is, I think, absolutely core for a first release.

James Harriman-Smith
Ph.D. Candidate, English Faculty
Peterhouse
University of Cambridge