[Open-Legislation] Hello list and questions re. European datasets

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Feb 10 11:43:39 UTC 2011

Hi Philipp,

fantastic of you to join this list, LATC has long been a group that
I've wanted to include into this effort!

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Philipp Frischmuth
<frischmuth at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> I would like to introduce myself to this list. I'm a researcher at the AKSW [1] working group at Universität Leipzig. AKSW is involved in the LATC support action [2] and one of the tasks in this project is to publish legal datasets by European institutions as Linked Data as well as to interlink them with other datasets.

Acquiring those datasets in a clean form is definetly something that I
know many people on this list are keen to do (myself included). I'm
therefore wondering whether it would be feasible to set this up in a
two-stage process where we cooperate on the first part (scraping or
downloading the data, re-structuring items where necessary), while you
can then much more easily model the retrieved data in RDF (while we go
off to do other things with the output).

> - N-LEX (A common gateway to national law) [3]
> - Euro-LEX (Access to European Union law) [4]
> - Taxation & Customs Union [5]
> - European Patent Office [6]
> - National Legal and Legislative Resources published as CEN Metalex [7]

I think this is an excellent list to which I would only add PRE-Lex to
this master set (which is already scraped, as you mention), and, I
think IPEX for procedural info.

What do others think?

- Friedrich