[Open-Legislation] openlaws.eu EU Project starting today

Eric Mill eric at sunlightfoundation.com
Thu Apr 3 14:19:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 03:42:36PM +0200, Clemens Wass wrote:
> > - we get some external support for the hosting for the initial phase
> > (hosting is not covered by the EU project) but once we have traffic, this
> > means costs
>
> negligible ones.

I agree, when traffic grows to some substantial level that the costs are
non-negligible, raise it with the community and work it out with them.

> - we are asked by the commission to include a business plan to make this
> > independent and sustainable.
>
> i think this is the real challenge in this project. i have the strong
> suspicion that self-sustainability is incompatible with an ethical
> licensing
> of the data.

Yeah, we're talking about laws, here? "Legislation, case law, and legal
literature"?  If you're not entering the data into the public domain, and
you're trying to take the mantle of "open", you're not acting ethically.

> --
> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

Developer | sunlightfoundation.com