[Open-Legislation] openlaws.eu EU Project starting today

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Apr 3 14:49:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 04:31:39PM +0200, Clemens Wass wrote:
> Hi!
>
> legislation and case law will always be open and free, that much is sure!
> So content will be open and free, YES!
>
> Code: We would think of a few premium software features, that are most
> likely to be used/needed only by legal professionals (like lawyers). this
> should be fair, because they actually make quite some money using such
> tools.

which they wouldn't be making if the tools would be widely available...

> If they receive premium value, than this could be a way for a paid
> part of the service.
>
> With open access publication I actually referred to legal literature.
> If there is a link to publisher content, then there might be a paywall by
> the publisher. Again, OA preferred, but we want to take it from today
> (completely dominated by publishers) to tomorrow.

so are we talking now academic research papers? i'm confused.

> Hosting costs and bandwidth: Well, this could be costly. If we need to
> replicate data (I hope we can leave it where it is), then this can cause
> real traffic. We would have to keep data in sync. If users create there own
> personalized PDF legal summaries, than this can also mean traffic. I am no
> developer, but I come from an IT company and we spent a fortune there...

i personally operate 30+ services online, but hosting costs are totally
negligible. some of them scrape data for 3-5 hours daily. believe me, this is
negligible.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt