[Open-Legislation] openlaws.eu EU Project starting today

Clemens Wass clemens at wass.at
Thu Apr 3 14:31:39 UTC 2014

Hi!

legislation and case law will always be open and free, that much is sure!
So content will be open and free, YES!

Code: We would think of a few premium software features, that are most
likely to be used/needed only by legal professionals (like lawyers). this
should be fair, because they actually make quite some money using such
tools. If they receive premium value, than this could be a way for a paid
part of the service.

With open access publication I actually referred to legal literature.
If there is a link to publisher content, then there might be a paywall by
the publisher. Again, OA preferred, but we want to take it from today
(completely dominated by publishers) to tomorrow.

Hosting costs and bandwidth: Well, this could be costly. If we need to
replicate data (I hope we can leave it where it is), then this can cause
real traffic. We would have to keep data in sync. If users create there own
personalized PDF legal summaries, than this can also mean traffic. I am no
developer, but I come from an IT company and we spent a fortune there...

Best, Clemens