[Open-Legislation] Intro / Historic Statutes

John Levin john at anterotesis.com
Mon Feb 24 12:41:15 UTC 2014

Hi Francis & list,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm very interested in the importance of historic, repealed legislation
for today's legal practitioners. I confess I have little legal
knowledge, even about historic law; it's just one of those things I've
run into whilst doing my PhD on debtors in the c17th / c18th.

I'd love for the SLD to take on historic statutes, though it is my
understanding that establishing canonical versions is very problematic.
For example, the original scrolls had no punctuation whatsoever, and
most of the printed collections have added it. Which adds to the
complexity, and so also the cost, and I really don't see govt funding
appearing.

The SLDs XML schema looks very good - what I understand of it! - but for
the moment I'm concerned with transcribing laws relating to debtors into
plain text, as that's good enough for my immediate needs, namely text
mining.

I'm also doing some work on Wikipedia's law pages, sorting them out and
adding the texts I have so far.

Best wishes

John