[Open-Legislation] Historic Statutes - Isle of Man

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 14:57:50 UTC 2014

> Hi Graeme,
>
> That sounds very useful! Do you know how many English / GB / UK statutes
> will be in your database? And could you clarify whether UK statutes are
> primary or secondary legislation in the IoM?

As a general rule UK statutory law doesn't extend to Ellan Vannin. It's not
in the UK and at least nowadays the UK Parliament doesn't try to legislate
for other countries :-). In practice a surprising number of UK laws are
adopted - eg Lord Hardwick's Marriage Act was used as the basis for Manx
laws that meant that the Island stopped being a place to elope to get
married very soon after the law changed in England. Compare Scotland where
people carried on going to Gretna Green.

(In practice I suspect that only people in Chester/Liverpool and the
surrounding area are likely to have thought that Man was a place to go to
to get married conveniently, but my recollection is that some people did
just that).

Francis Davey