[Open-Legislation] standards for law in IT systems

Robert Richards robertrichards03 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 19:48:20 UTC 2014

There are a large number. A few dozen are listed here:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/rcr5122/Metadata.html

Regarding metadata models, the Legal Information Institute Legislative
Metadata Model is much discussed recently:
http://blog.law.cornell.edu/metasausage/downloads-and-related-information/

Regarding structural metadata standards for legislation, among the most
prominent is Akoma Ntoso    http://www.akomantoso.org/   which is the basis
for the proposed OASIS LegalDocML standard:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/legaldocml/

CEN MetaLex   http://www.metalex.eu/    is an XML-based interchange format
for XML-based legislative structural metadata formats.

Regarding identifiers, others include LEX identifier (called the "LEX
Naming Convention")  (specification:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-spinosa-urn-lex/     ;
implementations:
http://legalinformatics.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/francesconi-lex-naming-convention-implementations/
), and Akoma Ntoso identifier  (called "Akoma Ntoso Naming
Convention")
(specification:
http://www.akomantoso.org/release-notes/akoma-ntoso-3.0-schema/naming-conventions-1
   ; implementations:
http://legalinformatics.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/palmirani-akoma-ntoso-implementations/
)

Regarding citations, a legal citation markup standard is in development:
OASIS LegalCiteM:   https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/legalcitem/

In the Zotero world, regular Zotero    https://www.zotero.org/    supports
several legal citation formats, as does Multilingual Zotero:
http://citationstylist.org/

Several substantive legal citation formats are at:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/rcr5122/Citation.html

Regarding markup standards for formal representations of legal rules, the
OASIS LegalRuleML standard is in development:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/legalruleml/    . It is designed to
be compatible in particular with the OASIS LegalDocML standard noted above.

Regarding knowledge representation,several ontologies, standards, and
formats are at:  http://www.personal.psu.edu/rcr5122/Ontologies.html    and
Fabio Vitali and colleagues have recently developed a new one: ALLOT, for
entities referenced in legal documents:   http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/allot/

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Clemens Wass <clemens at wass.at> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> a quick question: which standards do exist when it comes to law in IT
> systems?
> There are of course:
>
>    - ELI for legislation
>    - ECLI for case law
>
> For papers and books (not limited to the legal area of course):
>
>    - DOI
>    - ISSN
>    - ISBN
>
> For citations:
>
>    - BibTex does not have entries for legislation or case law, right?
>
> Which other standards are important?
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Best, Clemens

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Communication Arts and Sciences
The Pennsylvania State University
State College, PA  16802
Contact:  http://about.me/richardsrobert
<http://legalinformatics.wordpress.com/about/about-the-author/>* Member New
York bar, retired status.
Any opinions expressed above are mine, not those of my institution.
The statements above are not legal advice or legal representation.