[Open-Legislation] Alon Peled, Traversing Digital Babel from MIT Press, Ch. 3 on Open Data movement worldwide

Alon Peled Alon.Peled at post.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 10 11:17:50 UTC 2014

Hi Stef... and thanks for replying!

Nope. Most certainly an MIT Press book is not an open knowledge product.
The publisher wants to be paid for it (though the scholarly author is
unlikely to see a penny from it..:-). The book, however, does deal with a
critical question that comes well before knowledge can be shared
meaningfully and hopefully also openly--how to incentivize/nudge the
biggest producers of raw information in the world (e.g., governmental
agencies--not Google and its alike!..:-) to share with each other the
enormous mountains of information that they produce and store? If we solve
this problem first, the road to sharing knowledge will be a little bit more
open.....Thanks again for writing back to me, Stef! Yours, Alon

Alon Peled, PhD (Harvard University, 1994)
Associate Professor, Department of Political Science
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
msapeled at huji.ac.il
Alon.Peled at post.harvard.edu
https://scholars.huji.ac.il/alonpeled

New Book from the MIT Press (2014):
*Traversing Digital Babel - Information, E-Government, and Exchange*
http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/traversing-digital-babel
Stuart Robbins’ Blog:  http://wp.me/p16Nq-6k