[Open-Legislation] First law journal in Europe?

Jörn Erbguth joern at erbguth.net
Tue Nov 11 09:44:18 UTC 2014

Hi Clemens,

I guess there must have been law journals in ancient Rome. The legal system of continental Europe has been derived from the legal system from ancient Rome and there is a lot of literature about it. But what would you consider a law journal? Does it have to be printed – since printing was only invented long after ancient Rome ceased to exist.

So my guess would be like 450 b.c. – but the publishing process looked a lot different than today. In former times it was read to the people, exhibited on tablets later printed and today published on the Web. I see no reason why “publication” necessarily means “printing on paper”.

Best regards

Jörn