[Open-Legislation] French civil code on git

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:06:56 UTC 2015

It is certainly an easier and better way to consult diffs than (say) trying
to do so via legislation.gov.uk, though that may improve.

Github also makes it easy to clone the corpus elsewhere.

I agree that pull requests may be unrealistic, but there is nothing even
vaguely like that for professional engagement with UK legislation. Drafting
amendments to existing law would be easier if they could be submitted like
that.

Francis

> Hey Stef,
> In order to easily read and follow the diffs and ultimately lead to
> git blame for pieces of legislation?
> Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 11:17:23AM +0200, John Levin wrote:
> >> An interesting project from France: the civil code on github:
> >> Article:
> >>
> http://qz.com/373326/the-entire-french-legal-code-dating-back-to-napoleon-is-now-on-github/i/373366/
> >> Code:
> >> https://github.com/steeve/france.code-civil
> >> Searchable interface:
> >> http://www.codecivilsearch.fr/
> >
> > the old question nags again, why does it make sense to put this stuff
> into
> > github? stefan wehrmeyer did it with the german bundestag. and please
> spare me
> > the "citizens can submit amendments as pull requests" argument, if you
> know
> > how politics/parliaments work, this is very far away detached from
> reality.
> >
> > --
> > otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

Francis Davey