[Open-Legislation] French civil code on git

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Wed Apr 8 10:20:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 11:06:56AM +0100, Francis Davey wrote:
> It is certainly an easier and better way to consult diffs than (say) trying
> to do so via legislation.gov.uk, though that may improve.

well the data is there, to show diffs, you really don't need git. by using
github, you only 1/ put yourself at the mercy of a commercial service provider
2/ externalize the development costs of a proper userinterface for doing
diffs. 3/ you ignore at4am.

> Github also makes it easy to clone the corpus elsewhere.

that is a feature of git, not github. also why would you do that? how often is
that a requirement, and how often is git data the best format to do further
processing?

> I agree that pull requests may be unrealistic, but there is nothing even

hah, of course. but even blame is unrealistic.

> vaguely like that for professional engagement with UK legislation. Drafting
> amendments to existing law would be easier if they could be submitted like
> that.

to me this looks like people with hammers running around and seeing nails
everywhere.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt