[open-linguistics] Open Linguistics workshop/meetup at OKCon 2011?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sun May 29 10:18:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Richard Littauer
<richard.littauer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>>
>> So maybe it would be worth considering something along the lines of an
>> online journal by the OKF that allows people to publish articles describing
>> their open datasets, methodology for creation, intended applications, etc.?
>
> I think this is worth considering. I think that it falls within the scope of
> the OKF, and would be justifiable from that standpoint. Further, I think
> that certain aspects of Linguistics are worth putting in the public domain,
> and that they would be justifiable to any linguist. The amount of blogs
> about idioms, morphology, phonetics research, and in particular
> sociolinguistics are a testament to a willingness among linguists to talk
> about things which interest them, and to a desire to put things into the
> public domain.
> The difficulty is identifying a) where legality lies, as far as ownership of
> data (with the funder? the researcher? the speaker? the community?) b) what
> the author is willing to write up and give out publicly. Supplementary data
> supplied for published papers is a good example - that doesn't necessarily
> need to be locked within the publishers domain, and often isn't, but can be
> used in it's own right by future researchers. Methodology is a case where if
> we come at it from a pedagogical angle, it makes more sense for people to
> give their knowledge away - for the sake of students and prestige is enough
> of a reason to give away what are, after all, not that important trade
> secrets. I suspect that anything involving 'intent' will be trickier.
> Some presentations on this would be great, I feel.

Yes indeed! Also it would be great if someone was willing to create a
stub for this on the OKF ideas page - so that others can provide
input, etc:

http://ideas.okfn.org/

> Oh - I'm new. My name is Richard Littauer, graduated MA Linguistics from
> Edinburgh in two weeks. I'm trying to see if I can come to Berlin, depends
> on my current employer and if they think that me talking about opening up
> ecological workflows into the public domain would be a justifiable expense.

Welcome Richard! :-)

I very much hope you're able to come to OKCon. Your project sounds
very interesting and I'd love to hear more about it!

Have you also seen the travel bursaries?

http://blog.okfn.org/2011/05/19/okcon-2011-travel-bursaries-early-bird-tickets-available/

All the best,

Jonathan