[open-linguistics] Google Refine + RDF export

hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Mar 11 17:22:04 UTC 2012

Hi Steven,
actually it should be me, who bootstraps a list with best practices
for converting data to RDF, but I am leaving for the jungle/beach in a
few days until End of March. Last year I was involved in an EU
Deliverable named Knowledge Extraction from Structured Sources. As a
result we bootstrapped the Knowledge Extraction Wikipedia Article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_extraction  which is supposed
to serve as an entry point for triplification aid.

Also the LATC project (who is responsible for the Google Refine
extension) has a list with recommended tools , see
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/latc/toollibrary/

We should not ignore the most basic problem: the lack of open access
and download links. So first we should draft a list of recommended
services and guidelines for Linguists to publish their data online. As
programmers we use GitHub, Bitbucket, Sourceforge or Google Code and
they are also appropriate for data/ontology projects. Then if it is
published, we can add it to CKAN and maybe think about licenses and
privacy and then we can focus on RDF conversion. RDF and Linked Data
are the last two stars and I think we are having the most problems
with the first three, currently. We should focus on this and have a
simple goal: A download link collection of the resources presented on
the LDL2012 workshop (ignoring data format and licencing issues for
now ).

All the best,
Sebastian