[open-linguistics] Options for licenses

Menzo Windhouwer Menzo.Windhouwer at mpi.nl
Mon Mar 12 11:15:08 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank the organizers and all participants for the interesting days on Linked Data for Linguistics!

Being back I was looking at the license of the various data sets we've in the Typological Database System (TDS). Soon these will be available under the Open Access policy of the DANS archive (see http://www.dans.knaw.nl/en/content/data-archive/terms-and-conditions). However, these won't directly allow one to republish the data or make derivative works. Releasing (some of) the sets on a Create Commons license with attribution could be an option. But possibly No-Derivatives would also be needed to prevent the data set from modification and misattribution. However, that would prevent someone to turn it into triples even while the content stays the same. One would need some kind of license that keep content and attribution intact but allows for new representations. Does someone know of such a license or has any other examples of licenses more suitable for databases?

Regards,

Menzo

--
Menzo Windhouwer
e-mail:Menzo.Windhouwer at mpi.nl
Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics