[open-linguistics] Options for licenses

Michael Cysouw cysouw at eva.mpg.de
Mon Mar 12 14:38:23 UTC 2012

This does not look good for Open Access, the closest seems to be CC-by-nd-nc:

"Users are only allowed to download the dataset for personal use. He or she is not allowed to copy the datasets, or substantial parts thereof, for other purposes. Users are not allowed to make any commercial use of the dataset, for instance by selling it. Copyrights of third parties must always be respected."

As far as I know, "Non-Derivatives" is not considered really open by most. I personally at least consider it unusable. I think this option was the biggest mistake of the Creative Commons: they should have never included that option in the first place.

best
michael