[open-linguistics] Categories for data in the LLOD Cloud Diagram

John McCrae jmccrae at cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jul 12 12:16:36 UTC 2013

Hi Hugh,

The classification used by OLAC is very interesting, I could see this as
being a good basis for working from. As such I would guess that the best
idea is to start from those three tags and add a few more, in particular to
identify if the resource is multimodal or multilingual.

True :: A published journal paper discussing a grammatical feature of a
> minority language would be typed as a bitext.

 I would think this is typological data, a bitext should consist of aligned
text in two or more languages

> True :: A website where one could look up characters used in any
> orthography in the world would be typed as typological.

 Yeah, it is either metadata or typology... I suspect that what would be
better is to use the category of "language_description" from OLAC and use
that to cover both typological datasets and linguistic category sets

Regards,
John