[open-linguistics] Categories for data in the LLOD Cloud Diagram

Hugh Paterson III hugh at thejourneyler.org
Fri Jul 12 04:08:25 UTC 2013

This seems to be a pretty strait forward kind of taxonomy. I like straight forward.

I would encourage a path forward where this sort of taxonomy development would push on the OLAC community to revise or revisit the type declaration recommendation for linguistic resources. You can see at the link below there are only three resources. http://www.language-archives.org/REC/type.html Perhaps these types as defined by OLAC are not sufficient for the purposes here, but rather than crating another taxonomy, why not alter one already in existence so that many of the resources already curated in many meta-data systems can immediately be typed?

I have two questions, which if someone can confirm or deny my assertions, would help me determine if I am understanding the proposed taxonomy.

True :: A published journal paper discussing a grammatical feature of a minority language would be typed as a bitext.

True :: A website where one could look up characters used in any orthography in the world would be typed as typological.

- hugh