[open-linguistics] Categories for data in the LLOD Cloud Diagram

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Tue Jul 16 10:32:28 UTC 2013

Yes, the idea is really to create a partition where every resource falls
in exactly one category (as decided by the data provider and specified in
the CKAN entry). But this is *for visualization* only, not for meta data
categories in general, and we should carefully keep these aspects apart.
Of course, meta data categories in general should be less prescriptive,
extensible and not mutually exclusive, but I would suggest not to come up
with new meta data categories, but rather, build on existing work.

A nice, LLOD-relevant resource here is the OWL formalization of the
metadata profile of ISOcat developed at the University of Tübingen:
http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/nalida/images/isocat/isocatOWL.owl. I'm
CC'ing Thorsten Trippel, maybe he would like to elaborate on the ontology,
its development status and its relation to other metadata schemes.

Best,
Christian

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 22:39:16 +0200, Jonathan Pool <pool at panlex.org> wrote:

>> The proposal is that we should divide language resources into 6 broad
>> categories
>
> Sorry I missed the meeting today.
>
> If this is a partition, I think it is likely to create disagreement
> about (1) how many categories should exist, (2) which categories should
> exist, and (3) which category should be assigned to each resource.
>
> Less prescriptive solutions might be considered:
>
> A. Allowing multiple categories to be assigned to the same resource.
>
> B. Allowing additional categories to be created.
>
> C. Allowing multiple coexisting authorities to create sets of categories
> and assign them to resources.

Christian Chiarcos
Applied Computational Linguistics
Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt a. M.
60054 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

office: Robert-Mayer-Str. 10, #401b
mail: chiarcos at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
web: http://acoli.cs.uni-frankfurt.de